Ready to Talk to a Designer?
Kitchen Design Services
In our kitchen design services, we work closely with restaurateurs, facility managers, architects and chefs to streamline the kitchen design process, regardless of the size and type of project. As experienced restaurant consultants, we are intimately familiar with the entire commercial kitchen construction process and can serve as the independent project lead or as a sub-consultant to a design firm on a larger project.
Mise Designs’ Kitchen Design Process
Your concept drives the menu, and your menu drives the kitchen, so this is where our design process begins. There are similarities and differences in approach for commercial kitchen design, hotel kitchen design and restaurant kitchen design services; but they all follow the same developmental progression from a construction standpoint.
- Pre-Design Programming puts all the project concept and design team information on the table so we can see where we are starting and where we need to go.
- Conceptual & Schematic Design begins the design phase where concepts and layouts are created and evaluated for functionality, flow and efficiency based on operational strategy.
- Design Development is the next stage of the design process where utilities and millwork details are created for use by other design professionals and manufacturers.
- Construction Document Development is the completion stage of design where all documents are assembled and packaged for use by contractors and submission to permit officials.
Typical hotel & restaurant kitchen design documents include:
- Foodservice Floor Plans, Materials & Finish Specifications
- Existing & New Wall Dimension* Plans
- Dimensioned* Plumbing and Electrical Rough-In Plans
- Dimensioned* Floor Penetration or Sanitary Sewer Rough-In Plans
- Equipment and Millwork Elevations & Sections Plans
- Foodservice Equipment Specification Sheets
- Bid/Negotiation Documents entail the generation and evaluation of specifications for bids of foodservice equipment and construction, should they be requested.
*Dimensioned wall and utility plans is a service unique to Mise Designs. By dimensioning the utilities, and also providing elevations wherever necessary, we ensure the construction trades know exactly what we need and where we need it. The last thing you need when you are ready to open is to find out the plug doesn’t reach the outlet!
A Design Firm that Understands Health Code
Regardless of your concept, the “mise en place” of hotel or restaurant kitchen design starts with your concept and menu, but ends with your local health officials. Our team works with your local health officials and obtains all the forms necessary to begin the application process*. We consult with you throughout the completion of your local health code application and plan review process to ensure your operation is designed to meet or exceed the health code from the beginning; which if returned requiring revisions, could delay your progress by several weeks or months, wasting valuable time and money.
*Note: Building Permit fees, submittal of application and plans to the Health Department are the responsibility of the client.